What are the Slack Archives?

It’s a history of our time together in the Slack Community! There’s a ton of knowledge in here, so feel free to search through the archives for a possible answer to your question.

Because this space is not active, you won’t be able to create a new post or comment here. If you have a question or want to start a discussion about something, head over to our categories and pick one to post in! You can always refer back to a post from Slack Archives if needed; just copy the link to use it as a reference..

Hi everyone! Looking for ideas to setup testing environment locally in parallel with dev environmen

U013EK8RD7A
U013EK8RD7A Posts: 127 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet
edited December 2021 in Docker

Hi everyone!

Looking for ideas to setup testing environment locally in parallel with dev environment. I’m using docker/sdk ofc. At the moment, the issue is that same resources (DB, redis, queues) are being used by testing environment, so if we have a test that needs a fresh state of DB, we have a problem.

In Testify Environment.php APPLICATION_ENV is set to devtest . There’s even a configuration file for this environment, but how to set it up? Basically there has to be a separate database (with a dedicated user), separate RMQ vhost, and likely redis db aswell.

That could be achieved by manually creating those resources, but is there any way to automate this?

The only idea that comes to my mind is to have a separate deploy.yml file, but this has a great downside - everytime you wan to run tests, the environment would have to be rebuilt…

Any ideas welcome under the thread. Thanks ❤

Comments

• Andriy Netseplyayev
    Andriy Netseplyayev Sprykee Posts: 519 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet

Never tried that myself, but if it’s about your local env + testing - I would go and check for using a separate “region” for testing environment. OOTB you have 2 regions - EU and US - they have separate resources (incl. DB). Then you pick a store from this new region and use it as your testing store:

testing:
        store: ...

• Andriy Netseplyayev

then you can introduce and maintain your import data that you need for testing purposes

• Andriy Netseplyayev
    edited December 2021

But from another perspective - I would question this

we have a test that needs a fresh state of DB

and why you would rely on some data present/missing in DB *before* test starts?
    To make sure your test is isolated, you have to prepare the data you need by using TransactionHelper and DataBuilders

• Andriy Netseplyayev

Second part of your question (devtest env and configuration):
    Normally, the ootb config is enough to run your tests. If you follow one of the approach above (either region with separate DB or isolated tests) - then you won’t need to automate/configure (almost) anything - only the right config in deploy.dev.yml

• U013EK8RD7A

@UKJSE6T47, thanks for Your reply!

We do prepare the data, but the problem arises in integration tests (e.g middleware data import process), during which transaction gets committed, all prepared dataends up on database. Datacleanup fails too because new entries are added during data import.

• U013EK8RD7A

on subsequent test run a failure happens because of duplicated SKUs

• Andriy Netseplyayev

yes, acceptance/integration tests would have this issue you described, I agree. Unless you’re able to randomise the input in the acceptance test and be able to verify/compare the result on the frontend

• Andriy Netseplyayev

Then go ahead and try out a new region setup for testing 😉

• U01T075RRHD
    U01T075RRHD Posts: 118 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet

I remember there was a setup that would restore a database backup before each test suite. There should be a helper class for that

• U01T075RRHD
    U01T075RRHD Posts: 118 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet

🤔 couldn't find anything. Perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me 🤪

• Andriy Netseplyayev

@UK5EG6PBM Maybe there was something like that in the past.. Certainly before the docker/sdk era..

• U0251S9J5LP
    U0251S9J5LP Posts: 22 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet

i just like to add my 2 cents here as right now we have the same issue: imo the tests should indeed have it’s own database. if the same database is used you never know what changes had been done to the database structure or data before running the tests. it’s impossible then to have a test make sure to prepare structure and data before execution (except dropping & recreating whole database, which would be slow and also may break your development). it’s necessary to be able to rely on some fixed initial state of the database. sure some tests still need to prepare data (like adding a customer if sth customer-realted has to get integration-tested).