What are the Slack Archives?

It’s a history of our time together in the Slack Community! There’s a ton of knowledge in here, so feel free to search through the archives for a possible answer to your question.

Because this space is not active, you won’t be able to create a new post or comment here. If you have a question or want to start a discussion about something, head over to our categories and pick one to post in! You can always refer back to a post from Slack Archives if needed; just copy the link to use it as a reference..

Hi , is there any reasons why "UtilTextService" instantiates directly in "PropelSchemaMerg

UKBF1R1S5
UKBF1R1S5 Posts: 34 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet
edited September 2019 in Help

Hi <!channel>,
is there any reasons why "UtilTextService" instantiates directly in "PropelSchemaMerger"? I think a bridge that will be injected over constructor is better solution.

Comments

• UK5DS29L2
    UK5DS29L2 Posts: 546 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet

Because it works , I guess

• UK5DS29L2
    UK5DS29L2 Posts: 546 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet

IMO - If it works, it's OK. You won't blame people for taking another road to the store, just because you like another road more. Let programmers do it the way it works for them the best. πŸ˜‰

• UKBF1R1S5

I don't want to blame someone else.

• can you point me to some code?

• and i absolutely disagree with @UK5DS29L2 πŸ™‚

• of course there can always be a shortcut, but it should be a reflected decision. These things can make the life of people further down the road harder than necessary

• UKN2CGHSB
    UKN2CGHSB Posts: 13 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet
        private function getElementName(SimpleXMLElement $fromXmlChildElement, $tagName)
        {
            $elementName = (array)$fromXmlChildElement->attributes();
            $elementName = current($elementName);
            if (is_array($elementName) && isset($elementName['name'])) {
                $elementName = $tagName . '|' . $elementName['name'];
            }
            if (empty($elementName) || is_array($elementName)) {
                $utilTextService = new UtilTextService();
                $elementName = 'anonymous_' . $utilTextService->generateRandomString(32);
            }
            return $elementName;
        }

• UKN2CGHSB
    edited September 2019

change was introduced in https://github.com/spryker/propel/commit/11b7a10f26896b1dd8430c09f9a0842c4387a6ec

stereomon committed on Dec 5, 2016

• Andriy Netseplyayev
    Andriy Netseplyayev Sprykee Posts: 519 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet

looks like that particular commit was about replacing the library with a service, and not β€œinjecting it properly”. I think question from @UKBF1R1S5 is not to finger-point, but rather to understand something that doesn’t fit to the general picture. And I don’t see a good reason why not injecting it properly..

• i agree, this was probably a semi-automatic refactoring

• it is still unclean from Spryker side, should not look like that

• UKN2CGHSB

sure, the line was touched (for service replacement) ~3Β½ years ago and nobody was taking any further care to check for new FooService() usages in business models..

As an answer to original question: "legacy code" could be the only reasonable explanation why proper injection was not used

• i agree, unfortunately

• UKBF1R1S5
    edited September 2019

FYI. I created a pull request by spryker.