What are the Slack Archives?

It’s a history of our time together in the Slack Community! There’s a ton of knowledge in here, so feel free to search through the archives for a possible answer to your question.

Because this space is not active, you won’t be able to create a new post or comment here. If you have a question or want to start a discussion about something, head over to our categories and pick one to post in! You can always refer back to a post from Slack Archives if needed; just copy the link to use it as a reference..

is there a place in documentation which describes good practices when it comes to error handling and

U01G4K5E0J2
U01G4K5E0J2 Posts: 194 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet

is there a place in documentation which describes good practices when it comes to error handling and reporting inside event listeners?
I'm asking this question because I have event listener which sends requests to an external API and would like to know what to do if API returns error response

Comments

• UQ958DA4U
    UQ958DA4U Posts: 232 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet

I don't know if there's a general documentation for this behavior, but I'd stick to the Spryker defaults.
    This means: If anything goes wrong, throw an Exception with a usable error message and it's automatically dead-lettered to the *.error queue. That way, you can monitor the *.error queues and shovel the messages back and forth if need be.

• U01G4K5E0J2

thanks, this helped

• U01G4K5E0J2

do you know if this behavior is described somewhere?

• UQ958DA4U

No idea, but this is effectively how it works.

• U01G4K5E0J2

I wonder how this affects other listeners that might also be handling that events

• U01G4K5E0J2

and other events if I am using bulk handler

• UQ958DA4U

My best guess is that the processing is aborted and the message gets moved right away by the MessageProcessor.

• UQ958DA4U
    edited February 2021

Your event handlers should - in the best case - be idempotent (aka functional, stateless) so that they can be triggered anytime.

• Andriy Netseplyayev
    Andriy Netseplyayev Sprykee Posts: 519 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet

The only thing I was able to find in documentation is *Error Handling*. Plan for error handling during message processing such as routing to another queue, re-queuing, etc.

throwing an Exception and thus sending the message into the β€œ*.error” queue is a default approach, however you can build a another message and send it to the custom queue for further processing and ack the original one, if you don’t want to interrupt further listeners