What are the Slack Archives?

It’s a history of our time together in the Slack Community! There’s a ton of knowledge in here, so feel free to search through the archives for a possible answer to your question.

Because this space is not active, you won’t be able to create a new post or comment here. If you have a question or want to start a discussion about something, head over to our categories and pick one to post in! You can always refer back to a post from Slack Archives if needed; just copy the link to use it as a reference..

Good morning. Some general question: Concerning ci/cd for Spryker projects - what are pros and cons

UQS4LDZU7
UQS4LDZU7 Posts: 182 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet
edited April 2020 in Docker

Good morning. Some general question: Concerning ci/cd for Spryker projects - what are pros and cons from your point of view of using Jenkins vs Bitbucket ci (or gitlab ci, as it is similar)? Assuming you have one of these two options to choose. Thank you.

Comments

• sprymiker
    sprymiker Sprykee Posts: 781 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet

IMO Jenkins is not good for docker jobs.

Travis has no way to share docker artifactes or caches, so each job download all images from scratch.

• UQ958DA4U
    UQ958DA4U Posts: 232 πŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸš€ - Cadet

Re-adding to thread:

To me it really doesn't matter what's the Job Runner exactly since I use other tools to wrap the Jobs / Deployment. The CI tool essentially just becomes a runner.
    Both Bitbucket CI and GitLab CI are very near the code (Jenkins can be nowadays, too, although it requires a bit of effort) but that's the only "difference" that would matter to me.

• UQS4LDZU7

@ULYHPR789 Can you please say a couple of words, why, in your opinion, Jenkins is not good for docker jobs? Thank you.

• sprymiker
    edited April 2020

I’ve a long discussion with them to find a way to share docker images cache between builds. It is not possible they’ve said.

So now each our docker job spends 3-4 minutes for downloading images from scratch.

• sprymiker

But the rest is ok.

• UQS4LDZU7

Very precious information. Thx a lot.

• UQS4LDZU7
    edited April 2020

So you will be eager to advise using gitlab ci/bitbucket ci to get pipelines run faster, right?

• sprymiker

I cannot advise on that as I have no XP with docker + gitlab/bitbucket.

I remember that is bitbucket is more docker friendly then Travis.

But no real knowledge. Sorry.