Increase our recognition in the open source / PHP / commerce communities

Guido X Jansen
Guido X Jansen Global Business & Technology Evangelist Sprykee Posts: 424 ⚖️ - Guardians (admin)
edited June 2023 in Random

Ola! I think it would be good for our community if we can increase the recognition of Spryker in the worldwide open source / PHP / commerce communities and the industries we're active in. I'm looking into things we could do in the next couple of quarters to help us do this.

Any suggestions? :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Chemaclass
    Chemaclass Tech Lead Spryker Solution Partner Posts: 213 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet

Preparing Spryker t-shirts for the next summer. And, as an idea, you could ship them (for free) to some attendees of the Spryker meetups:
    • Spryker branch is more visible (by wearing Spryker t-shirts) 👕
    • People will have some extra incentive to attend the monthly user groups 🧠

• Guido X Jansen
    Guido X Jansen Global Business & Technology Evangelist Sprykee Posts: 424 ⚖️ - Guardians (admin)

@U015S0C0V29 and that is of course a completely selfless suggestion I gather? 😄

• Chemaclass

I don’t know, that’s something that would (at least) catch my attention… 🙂

• Chemaclass

Could you share an example what do you have in mind when you say: if we can increase the recognition of Spryker in the worldwide? Maybe some examples will help other people to think about something else 🤔

• Guido X Jansen

Visibility at certain events, visibility in certain communities, content around Spryker development at certain blogs, podcast, YouTube channels...

• Chemaclass

I would like to see an active Spryker tech YouTube channel where there are weekly videos showing code, explaining why things are done in certain way, and stuff like that. I think that would be really cool way to share tech knowledge to the tech community (not just business with the new features and so on… I want to see code 🙂 )

• Mark Dearlove
    Mark Dearlove Director of Academy Sprykee Posts: 34 🏛 - Council (mod)

Glad to hear this @U015S0C0V29 as it is something the academy is starting to work on. We set up our studio last week and ran some tests so will be looking to start building out content in the new year.

• U02P7B6K2LC
    U02P7B6K2LC Posts: 121 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet

For me, the health of an open source project is in the 3rd party tooling, projects and integrations that live around the project. So continued support/encouragement of those projects is important (Gacela and PHPBridge come to mind… but any others that are out there).

Other than that… visibility at the big PHP conferences - lots of PHP projects have their own… Laravel, Symfony (obviously) as well as Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal.

@U015S0C0V29 our team have discussed adding Spryker code-alongs to our YouTube channel… again… it would be great to have “official” content from Spryker… but 3rd party content is a sign of overall project health. So this is on our radar too.

• U02P7B6K2LC
    U02P7B6K2LC Posts: 121 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet

(example here)

Take the Laravel community … we have Laracasts which, essentially, is the “official” academy platform for Laravel.

But search on Google and YouTube and you’ll find 100's of creators publishing their own video tutorials, blogs, interviews, discussions and live streams.

That’s a sign of how big an healthy that community is.

• Guido X Jansen

Totally, the more 3rd party projects around Spryker the better and definitely something we'd like to support.

• Guido X Jansen

But that is not necessarily something that increases the recognition/visibility of Spryker in the worldwide dev communities. This mainly makes our own community better/more enjoyable and (hopefully) makes more people stick around.

Which is a very important thing to have obviously, and bigger/more active communities eventually attract more people.

But with my first question I was more aiming at things we can do *outside our own community* to create recognition/visibility for Spryker (and attract people to the ecosystem).

• michael.schmetter
    michael.schmetter Posts: 119 🧑🏻‍🚀 - Cadet
    edited December 2022

and attract people to the ecosystem

Part of that can also be that there is a healthy 3rd party ecosystem, with blog, videos and what not. So you don't feel directly "vendor locked in", if all information and documentation is coming directly from the vendor.
    At least that's what I felt for certain other software (eCommerce and other areas)

• Guido X Jansen

Good point @U02JWPGK5CZ!

• Guido X Jansen

So when are you launching your Spryker YouTube channel? 😄